Getting to know each other
We understand that applications can be time-consuming so we have tried to simplify the process. In the same manner that we want to know about you, we expect you to conduct research to find out more about Clarence. Download the Company Overview (PDF 3.3Mb).
We are looking for individuals, not robots. All applications are considered individually and explored for what you can offer as an individual.
An Exciting Future to a Successful Career
To succeed at Clarence you will need to be commercially astute. There is no minimum or maximum level of commercial awareness nor is there a formula that can be applied to it. It is an amalgamation of understanding the sectors and areas of law we cover and understanding our clients’ businesses.
You may read the business press and watch the news. As you will expect, most of our transactions are in Africa, hence your research should be geared towards the same.
Clarence is always looking to invest in outstanding talent, as our people are our most valuable asset and the pillar of our success.
Position: Senior Associate
The Senior Associate will report to the Managing Associate (on a day-to-day basis) and Managing Partner (directly) and his/her role will involve supervising the work of junior members of the team to ensure smooth and timely provision of excellent and bespoke legal advice as well as guidance to Clarence’s clients.
The ideal candidate will have strong business acumen and the ability to understand our client’s business needs to offer them tailored legal solutions. Communication and presentation skills are paramount, and experience with managing teams a considerable bonus. The successful candidate will need to have outstanding organizational and prioritization skills, as he/she will have to manage their own caseload as well as oversee that of other members of the team.
Integrity, teamwork and excellence are our core values and we expect every member of the team to show these values. Please read the requirements below and if you meet them, we would love to hear from you. Please do also refer to the Clarence Code of Conduct.
Application Deadline: open
Read about all Requirements - Attributes - Incentives
• A minimum of three years’ post-qualification experience
• Fluent in Spanish and English, French a plus
• Oil and Gas Contracts experience (PSCs, JOAs/Shareholders’ Agreements, Farmout Agreements, Technical Services Agreements)
• Understanding of Local Content Requirements and Trends
• Understanding of Anti-corruption Compliance Programs (FCPA and UKBA)
• Risk Management
• Strong leadership skills a must
• Oil and Gas or related experience
• Ability to deliver high quality legal work including but not limited to internal and external memos, drafting and reviewing contracts, etc.
• Ability to help maintain and grow existing client relationships and desire to build new ones
• Able to build trust, act with integrity and be relied upon
• Superior analytical and problem-solving skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Self-motivated and driven
• Focused on continuous improvement
• Excellent Interpersonal Skills
• Accurate and methodical
• Customer oriented and a can-do attitude
• Collaborative approach
• Team player
• Competitive compensation and performance bonus
• Shared Housing provided
• 1 month’s paid vacation per year
• Telephone Allowance
• Private Health Insurance